Key Sites


Cnoc Freiceadain

Loch Calder

Back to First Farmers


Two long horned chambered cairns lie near the Loch of Yarrows (ND305435). Both were excavated in 1865. The north cairn has a chamber at the eastern end where horns, not now visible, defined a semi-circular area in front of the entrance. The south cairn, a little higher up the hill, has forecourts at both ends. The chamber in the higher eastern end was divided into three compartments, the inner one still covered by a capstone, although now obscured by modern activity. A second chamber was located midway along the south side, although this is now difficult to see.

All content © Caithness Archaeological Trust 2004

unless otherwise stated