After the 'Disruption' of 1843, when the Free Church separated from the 'Auld Kirk', many new churches were built. The most characteristic churches are the simple, whitewashed rubble stone parishes. A fine example can be seen at Reay (NC 967648). The church was built on its present situation in 1739, moved from an earlier site identified by the burial ground in the centre of the village. Inside it has regained the 1739 panelled pulpit and long communion table.