In Caithness a few cross-slabs may be associated with Irish priests and the spread of Christianity. Several sites in the county are suspected monastic sites, although none has direct evidence of their use as such. One such site is Ballachly (ND 157303) where a possible chapel sits on a natural mound, associated with a massive enclosure wall. Bishop Forbes noted in 1762 that here 'had been a small monastery of old called the Chapel or Church of Peace'. Credence to this suggestion is lent by the recovery of a sculptured stone fragment in a nearby outbuilding. The carving consists of three arms of a cross and part of the fourth arm, plus a fish between two of the arms. Crosses of this style are comparatively rare in Scotland.